Sunday, March 7, 2010

Week 8

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

I really enjoyed this video; it was very inspirational to me! Randy Pausch had 10 tumors in his liver and is still very positive, which I look up to him for that. One thing that inspires me is that he does not let anything stop him from achieving his dreams. He made all of his childhood dreams come true through his virtual reality worlds. He talked about: lessons about childhood dreams, enabling dreams’ of others and lessons learned and how you can achieve your dreams or enable the dreams of others.
One of his childhood dreams was to be in the NFL, which he proceeded to talk about his time playing football and he made a comment saying "When you're screwing up and nobody is saying anything to you any longer, that means that they gave up on you." Which is true in my opinion, when I become a teacher I will always give feed back and try to motivate my students to do better and give them advice and the guidance they need to become successful.
In his lecture he talked a lot about the program he started at Carnegie Mellon University, called Building Virtual Worlds. He taught his program for many years, and inspired many students. He was blown away with how good his students were doing and said he did not set the bar high enough for them, so after talking with his mentor he decided not to set a bar. This made the students work harder and opened many more doors for them.

Overall I think of Randy Pausch as an inspiring person. He said “It is not about achieving your dreams; it is about how to live your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself and the dream will come to you.” That statement is very true and one that was memorable to me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. He was one remarkable man. I liked how he never gave up even though he kept hitting brick walls. He kept striving for those dreams.I think I will remember some of his information for the rest of my life. I am sorry he is gone now.

    ReplyDelete